The Buckhannon River Watershed Association was organized on February 12, 2001 and was chartered on March 27, 2001, during which a board of Directors was selected, bylaws were adopted, and membership dues were agreed upon. This first Board of Directors consisted of Dr. Jeff Simmons, Chair; Mr. Burl Smith Vice-Chair; Mr. Jim Mitchell, Treasurer; and Dr. G. Paul Richter, Secretary; Don Gasper, Jeff Kelley, Tom Landis, and Lisa McLeod. During the next several months the BRWA worked on getting things up and running. In August 2001 a Stream Partners grant for $3,652 had been received. Using that grant money, BRWA had accomplished a number of things by September 2002. This included the following: 1000 copies of a glossy color brochure for public distribution were printed; a large portable, free-standing, educational display was prepared by a commercial printing company; a large banner commercially made; and money set aside for purchasing trees for landscaping the River Walk, for employing an intern, and for publishing perhaps two editions of a newsletter. BRWA became officially incorporated on 13 March 2002 and tax-exempt status granted as of 24 October 2002. As of that date, BRWA became a tax-exempt 501 (c)(3) organization and remains so today.